Despite the jet lag,
we were all smiles on our first morning in Athens,
With a fresh outlook on the
day.
After getting a
little sustenance under our belts,
We were ready to
delve into the “Cradle of Western Civilzation”.
And what better place
to start, than the top? So off to the Acropolis we climbed.
The views were
unbelievable.
I’d like to say that
we gleaned a wealth of knowledge on the beginnings of democracy and modern
civilization on our self-guided tour. Although, with two small children, one
small tour book and a couple pamphlets, time and resources available for
synthesizing information were minimal.
The tour went a little something like this…
“Hey that's cool, what's that?”
“It’s a theatre, it
says in the book that it was - CIEL! Don’t climb on that…”
“A,B,C,D, EL-EM-EN-O-PEE!”
“Hey did you know
that the Parthenon was built in – Oooh maaan, Ciel just did a face plant, where’s
blankie?"
"I waaaant my daaaaaddy!"
"You’d better carry her, too"
“What’s that?”
“I don’t know
there’s a signboard, but it’s back there, we better keep moving before we anger
the gods and that sippy cup she downed two hours ago comes back to haunt us.”
If your
wondering what Taz was doing this whole time, the answer is nothing. True to
his nickname, LM (Low Maintenance), the kid hasn’t done a damn thing since we
got here, he doesn’t eat, he doesn’t sleep, he doesn’t poop, he doesn’t fuss.
The only thing he has done is get his mother all up in arms…
…but as any
baby son knows, that’s never very hard.
I'm sure he'll sort himself out...just in time for the next time zone change.
Meanwhile, his
sister, HM, has been true to form.
“I need my
blankie and soothie, I’m going to sit in the stroller for a rest…"
"...I don’t want
to sit in the stroller I want to run, I don’t need blankie and soothie”
“Can I have a
snack please…”
“…I don’t want
anymore snack, you finish it, daddy”
“I’m going to
have a nap in the stroller…I don’t need
a nap can I get out of the stroller, please?”
Despite the challenges, we’ve still become quite
accomplished relic hunters, managing to tour not only the Acropolis, but the
Agora,
Roman Baths,
And the Temple
of Olympian Zeus.
It takes a
little imagination to extrapolate the ruins to the 104-column behemoth of antiquity,
but impressive nonetheless.
The weather has
been beautiful, but we could always find a shady place to take a load off.
As you may
recall from our previous travels, we have frequently found ourselves embroiled
in (or fleeing) much turmoil, both political and environmental. Not surprisingly, Athens was no
different. Days 2 and 3 of our
stay were marked by a general strike and many protests. We narrowly escaped being trampled by
this oncoming crowd,
Before seeking
safe haven on the pedestrian streets of the Plaka District.
After that we
made it a point to get on the good side with law enforcement types.
Ciel did her
usual shmooozing and offered to help out.
They put her on
the front lines.
After two days
of dragging our largely-compliant two-year-old to see crumbly, old buildings we
decided to reward her on day three with an activity that was a little more
age-appropriate. A determined Britt
did some internet research and identified a “Balloons: Children’s Play Paradise”
with an honest and true bouncy castle a mere 2 km from our condo. Check out the webpage.
Awesome, eh?
Who’s excited?!
Well, Ciel sure
was.
She talked
about the bouncy castle at dinner, at bath time, during pre-bedtime pee, at bedtime, during post-bedtime-procrastination
pee, after falling out of bed in the middle of the night and in the morning at
breakfast…she was excited.
Well, you can
imagine her demeanour when we arrived at the address to find this…
…Not so bouncy.
After a brief
moment, when Britt almost broke into tears at Ciel’s innocent inquiry,
“Mummy, why’s
ther’ no bouncy castle?”,
We regrouped,
and fortunately found a suitable alternative in the eyes of a toddler, an afternoon
touring local playgrounds.
Even Mummy’s
spirits were lifted.
And we couldn’t
hold Tasman back from the action.
Aside from the
first night, we made all our meals at home and were quite proud to delve into
Greek culinary culture. As a personal
challenge, we attempted to craft as many meals as we could out of the same five
ingredients (olives, feta, tomatoes, cucumber, pita); gyros, Mediterranean
omelet with pita, Greek salad,
Greek stir-fry with cucumber salad…you get the picture. We managed to make it to dinner on day
three before we branched out and picked up some saganaki and local sausage.
O-PA!
Of course, all
the salt-laden feasts necessitated a sampling of local wares to quench our
palates.
(Hopefully,
that appeases the requests from the Dionysians in our readership.)
That just about
wraps up Athens, tomorrow, barring any riotous mobs or natural disasters, we’re
off to Crete to settle in for a relaxing 3-week stint… I’m sure the trip will
be a breeze…










































7 comments:
mmm...Bacchus. looking good guys, keep those posts coming.
Oh the ups and downs I felt as a parent reading this! Well done guys. I know I would lose my $hi7 way more than I should on that journey. The bouncy castle would definitely see me in tears and maybe even a temper tantrum of my own. Great photos and what an experience so far! Love the HM and LM nature of your kiddos. This I am sure will play out through the rest of your journey!
Beer is nice, but what about Krassi (sp?) and Retzina? Awesome reports, Stuker. Can't wait for Crete report. I lived in Agia Gallini for 3 months in a German bunker. Knossus in Iraklion is a good pit stop for Ciel and Taz to have a pee and puke while looking at the half-horse half-man pictures. The Mediterranean around the Greek Islands is the best swimming hole in the world. You guys will have a ball. Luv: UT
Great Pix! Hasn't changed much since G'Dad & I were there in '71. Food looks yummy! Give Ciel & Taz big hugs & kisses.
Nice report. If only you guys figured out how to make the best of a given situation you might find yourselves having some fun.
You are very luck Ciel didn't bring Ancient Greece to its knees or knock it all down. Little Taz is just calm, cool, and taking it all in. Nice to see there is a little action that you are not causing is finding you again. Good to see that Ciel stayed on the swing this time;).
Great pictures!!!
Seems like every second child is LM (hey...Luke and I are second children!) Thanks for keeping us posted.
Post a Comment