Saturday, June 29, 2024

105 - Western Canada Road Trip - Day 2 (Massey - Sault Ste. Marie - Wawa - 444km) - Beef, Fish, Goose


Well, despite being RV veterans,  it took less than 24hrs to encounter our first "rookie move". I was returning from my morning...stroll...only to hear the disconcerting sound of trickling water emanating from the bottom of our RV. A brief walkabout quickly determined that the sound was coming from the compartment ominously marked "Sewage". 

After fighting the urge to walk out to the southbound shoulder of the TransCanada and stick out my thumb, I bravely peeked into the recess, only to find a pool of bright blue waste-chemical-stained fluid sloshing around amidst 5 meters of flexible pipe...and two open sewage valves. Memories of the CanaDream woman bidding us farewell, "It's all set to go, enjoy your trip!" were of little comfort.

I did what I could, which with no waste dump in sight, wasn't much. Fumbling around elbow-deep in blue, while the compartment slowly drained onto our site through the bottom dust cap...sigh.

The only saving grace was that thus far we'd had more showers than pees, and (despite multiple attempts by Taz) we'd all stuck to the Bearss Family tenet - 
"NO POOPING IN THE RV!"

The only thing left to do was to sheepishly explain/apologize to the park staff at the front desk, who shrugged it off and assured me "maintenance would have a look." 
We couldn't peel out of there fast enough, cobalt urine still streaming out our back end.


The short jaunt (time and distance are relative at this point) to Sault Ste. Marie, gave us a chance to plan our next activity. Britt rhymed off various options, the Canadian Bushplane Museum, Historical Canal District, various surrounding hikes, but as soon as Ciel found out there was somewhere she could get 
"A BURGER? On a DOUGHNUT???", 


The decision was made.

The girl loves her burgers...
...and doughnuts.

The rest of us grudgingly toed the line.




Satisfied customers:

With a little time to spare, we also made it to the Canal National Historical Site to check out the locks,
("Yes, yours are nice, too, Taz.")

and take a stroll around the picturesque pathways of Whitefish Island, 



to Les Saults (rapids) de Ste-Marie.
While we didn't net any whitefish, Ciel managed to reel in a few glamour shots.


The walk was educational, too. There were multiple information plates that, among other things, taught us that Ojibwe is a much more efficient language than both French and English.

Part of the return trail was washed out, 

but Ciel was super excited about the detour through the bush.

She and I made up the lost time with our speed-walking race back to the parking lot. Which Ciel handily won, and not just because I was laughing uncontrollably at how ridiculous she looked as she wobbled away from me at a blistering pace.
 I guess all those days leaving late for school have paid off.

There were two "must do"s on my list for Wawa (from Ojibwe 'wewe' - wild goose), 

1. The Goose
"Guys, what do you mean you guys have never heard of the Wawa Goose??? It's FAMOUS!"


2. Hose down the aforementioned sewage compartment
Like it just came off the lot! 
(except with the valves closed this time...)

After that, our Happy Camper settled in,

While the kids and I braved the elements and headed to the pool. 

Which provided opportunity for Ciel to dominate me and Taz in yet another race...

(Editor's Note: As per Ciel, "Daddy, my muscles look even better IRL.")

Must be all the burgers.






8 comments:

Melissa said...

Ojibwe. Who knew? Love the stories….keep em coming.

Nana said...

Those burgers looked soo good. Great choice, Ciel!

Suzanne said...

Your posts always bring a smile to my face and this time I did laugh out loud. Cobalt urine...that is definitely a new one. I also can't believe the kids did not know about the BIG goose in Wawa. I don't know who to blame??
Oh to be a fly on the RV wall....

Anonymous said...

The pool looks cold 🐻‍❄️ great choice on the burgers Cieli 💪🏽💪🏽

Connie Wang said...

It’s Connie!

Anonymous said...

Looks so fun! That donut burger looks AMAZE!

Anonymous said...

-Sophia

Anonymous said...

Well played on the donut burgers Ciel. I’d say you saved the day.
-Adrienne