Monday, December 6, 2010

019 – Melbourne, Australia – The Melbourne Identity

We made it back to Melbourne from Hobart without much incident, and got checked into our new pad “The Cube”.
There wasn’t a pool, but Ciel loved the en suite hot tub.
 “If only I had a cold beer…”

 “Yesss!”

We’ve really gotten to know the city over the past week. I don’t even think people can tell we’re not locals. We really blend in.




Ciel even has her own bit on a local radio show.
"Ciel and Jonesy in the Morning"

 At the suggestion of the free tour bus driver, we decided to check out “the tallest observation deck in the Southern Hemisphere” at the Eureka Tower.

 Nana was a little scared but Ciel made sure she was safe.

 For an extra 12 bucks you can venture out on a death-defying, glass-floored “ride” called “The Edge”

 A glass cube that slides 3 metres out from the side of the building to creaky sound effects and flickering lights.  Then after 10 minutes of watching Nana and Brittster shuffle around on the perimeter of the glass floor while clutching the side-rails, they reel you back inside.
“No cameras allowed, as they might drop and scratch the floor, and more importantly prevent you from purchasing our over-priced souvenir photo, complete with tacky cardboard frame.”

 Suckers.


It was a short tram ride to St. Kilda Beach so Ciel could have her requisite dip.




 There were small kitchenettes in our apartments where we made most of our meals, thus mandating daily trips to the Queen Victoria (like St. Lawrence) Market.
One day I allowed myself to be goaded into trying to win 50 bucks by climbing this ladder.

 After watching intently for several minutes, analyzing the failed attempts of other patsies, and precisely plotting my plan of attack...

 ...I almost made it off the first rung.


We had a stroll through the Botanic Gardens so G-Dad could look at some trees.


 Ciel enjoyed the picnic lunch.

 And of course (despite the fact that G-Dad’s bags were already laden down with four bottles) we couldn’t let a week go by without seeing a few wineries.




Our new buddy, Rob, took us on a great little sight-seeing/wine tour down the Mornington Peninsula.








 Fortunately, he didn’t know a thing about what constitutes a legal car seat…

It’s been a tough week.

This morning, after pulling Ciel out of Nana’s carry-on bag, we waved goodbye to Britt’s parents…for now.

Now we’re doing the customary musical suitcase trick (and contemplating the wisdom behind that last bubbly purchase) to distribute weight in preparation for our next leg to Christchurch, New Zealand.  Looking forward to the spectacular views and, best of all, three months without morale-crushing flights and baggage scales!

Oh…The Melbourne Identity…? Isn’t it obvious?
It’s Rod Stewart.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Message to Ciel from Claire - she typed it herself.

ybjhv,jumk vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvbbv nv ;'/'fplbm vcl]ljkl.jj k. xik, g nnnnjjfgdb mukm,,;jn cv ffffffffffffffvccccccccccccccccccccccccc
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
cccccccfunubjnl..,,rliu.kj

Kristin said...

Hilarious! This entire post, I was thinking Ciel's hair was looking extra spectacular! I was totally on to you! And I was super hoping that you had made it up that ladder Luke! Damn!
I can imagine that Britt's parent's would have been crushed to leave their girl - Ciel that is.
Looks like you all enjoyed the time together.
Looking forward to seeing Christchurch in your posts. Its the coast/side of NZ that we didn't travel down - and a choice that I apparently made that Kevin will never forgive me for or let me live down. Again, did I tell you that we almost divorced on that honeymoon?
Travel safely!

tbone and cleo said...

Looks like you all had a blast together. I am sure G-Dad and Nana can't wait to see you all again in February. Ciels hair is exactly how Jarys was at that age..it will eventually lay flat.